Yeast is essential ingredient in breads and it is an living organism
Its best to use yeast
- at room temperature
What decreases the yeasts activity
- if it comes in direct contact with salt or sugar
Take your yeasts temperature
- take its liquid temperature using a thermometer, its temperature should be 120*f to 130*f
- to dry ingredients
- to wet (water) (before mixing with dry ingredients).
- dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup of 110*f to 115*f water (before mixing with all the other dry ingredients) then, add up to 3 packets of yeast, depending on your recipe to the sugar solution. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously (5-10 minutes).
Re hydrating dry yeast before using it gives it a good start because, the yeast feed on the sugar allowing it to become very active and ready to work in your dough.
- rich source of B Vitamins
- converts ferment able carbohydrates as maltose, glucose, fructose and sucrose into carbon dioxide and alcohol.